See the historical objects that live within Washington Place
Queen Liliʻuokalani’s Black and Red Marble Victorian Bracket Clock
The Queen’s clock is characteristic of a Victorian period French clock. This bracket clock is mounted on a sandstone base and constructed with black and red marble. “Liliʻuokalani” is inscribed at the base of the clock suggesting that the clock was in the home in 1877 or later when King Kalakaua appointed his sister heir apparent and gave her the name Liliʻuokalani. The clock still ticks today and chimes on the hour.
Materials: Stone, marble, glass
Height: 15 in. Depth: 6 ¼ in. Width: 12 ¼ in.
Location: Queen’s Bedroom
Queen Liliʻuokalani had multiple pianos but when people refer to the Queen’s piano, it is most likely this one. A huge koa tree from the Big Island was cut and shipped to the J & C Fischer piano company in New York. Initially, the wood was shades of red but after nearly 100 years, its color mellowed to shades of yellow-gold. This piano was presented to the Queen by Messers. John Philips, J. J. Soper and J.F. Hackfield on April 1892 at ʻIolani Palace. There are twin gold painted L’s surmounted by a crown on either side of the open fall board. Hand painted Kalakaua arms decorate the piano’s right side. The piano is a centerpiece of the home where it is still in fine tune.
Height: 40 in. Depth: 70 in. Width: 57 ½ in.
Location: Queen’s Parlor
White Porcelain Bust of Empress Eugenie
This porcelain bust of Eugenie de Motijo, wife of Napolean III is the second made by Comte de A.E. Nieuwerkerke. Napolean gave this bust to King Kamehameha IV as an apology for the actions taken by French forces to invade the Port of Honolulu. Eugenie wears a softly draped lace garment embroidered with bees (symbol of the French ruling class) which falls below her neckline. Having started a French fashion trend of wearing brooches, Eugenie wears a brooch in the center of her trademark ermine warp.
Sculptor: Comte de A.E. Nieuwerkerke
Height: 26 in. Width: 43 in.
Location: Queen’s Dining Room